When I got to the train station, the normal services to our local train station were disrupted. I quickly worked out an alternative route to get home after work as fast as possible. This was on Day 0.
Today evening I reached another London Train station which seemed to be in absolute chaos and I assumed it was because today is the Friday of a long weekend. A little while later I discovered that an ‘incident’ had taken place at the station earlier this afternoon which had thrown everything into a state of complete mayhem.
Another loss! Another family thrown into an abyss of deep grief. Another terrible tragedy! I stood still at the platform just mourning for everything all over again while the frantic activity around me kept buzzing on. I felt crushed.
I thought it might be useful to compile a list of well known risk factors that make any of us relatively more prone to want to end our lives. Here it is.
- Male gender
- Single people
- Low socio-economic level
- Substance abuse
- Psychiatric illness
- Gays/Lesbians/ Bisexuals/ Not sure
- Childhood bullying/ abuse/ dysfunctional families
- AIDS patients
- Chronic Epilepsy
- Chronic Pain
- War veterans
- Previous history of attempted suicide
- Deliberate self harmers leaving A&E without a psychiatric assessment
- Social isolation – eg. migrants
- Physical illness – cancer, stroke to name a few.
- Those recently bereaved.
- People on antidepressant medication.
Let’s look out for each other.